MP4 files are showing as "quicktime" in WordPress

The place for "I can't figure out how to..." questions.
bentasm1
User
Are you a spambot?: no

MP4 files are showing as "quicktime" in WordPress

Post by bentasm1 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:12 am

Howdy!

Why are mp4 files showing as quicktime in the metadata instead of mpeg-4?

Here is the file in question:
<redacted>

....and you can see the metadata here:
<redacted>

Note: <links removed because> it is an adult website.

I'm using the latest ID3 master from March 2014 as the version that comes with wordpress gives me two lines of errors. In fact every time I update wordpress I have to reupload the master files because wordpress never seems to do it right. ;) I'm still unsure why the included version in Wordpress errors out. It's quite strange, as it only affects a very small handful of people and it has for a year or so, not enough to cause them to figure it out.

Thanks!

Ben

James Heinrich
getID3() v1 developer

Re: MP4 files are showing as "quicktime" in WordPress

Post by James Heinrich » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:42 am

MP4 files are QuickTime files.

Quoting from Wikipedia:
MPEG-4 Part 14 is an instance of the more general ISO/IEC 14496-12:2004 (MPEG-4 Part 12: ISO base media file format) which is directly based upon the QuickTime File Format.[4][5][6][7][8] MPEG-4 Part 14 is essentially identical to the QuickTime file format, but formally specifies support for Initial Object Descriptors (IOD) and other MPEG features.[9]

bentasm1
User

Post by bentasm1 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:56 am

That makes sense. Is there a way to change the meta data so it inputs mp4's as MPEG-4 instead? Most people think QuickTime = .mov

James Heinrich
getID3() v1 developer

Post by James Heinrich » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:10 am

Many "different" file formats are just slight variations on a theme. For example (.mp4 ~= .mov ~= .3gp), (.wav ~= .avi), (.mkv ~= .webm), etc.

Here's a graph from Wikipedia that shows the overlap relationship between "ISO Base Media File Format" (roughly equivalent to QuickTime from 2001) vs other related formats (.3gp, .3g2, .mp4)

While it's possible to detect unique features that exist in only one sub-format and not the others, getID3 doesn't (always) do so, and usually reports the base file structure, whatever the minor implementation variant happens to be.

In your application if you'd prefer to see "mp4" displayed rather than "quicktime", a simple str_replace('quicktime', 'mp4', $whateverstringyoulike) will fix that.

bentasm1
User

Post by bentasm1 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:10 pm

Thank you James. Your replies are always very helpful.

Where would the str_replace go, is that for the themes functions.php or for a file in the ./ID3/ folder?

James Heinrich
getID3() v1 developer

Post by James Heinrich » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:17 pm

I have no idea how or where you're using getID3 on your site. But wherever you're outputting a fileformat string and you don't like that it says "quicktime", rather than just outputting it directly you can change the string to say whatever you like.

I have no knowledge of if or how getID3 is integrated into your Wordpress installation, so I leave that to you to figure out. It should, however, be a modification to your site's display code rather than a modification of getID3 itself.