Hidden Tags

disrael
User
Are you a spambot?: no

Hidden Tags

Post by disrael » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:47 pm

Is there a way to write a "hidden" tag to the file? I'm looking to put a tag in the file to identify where the file was downloaded from, but I don't want someone to be able to see it unless they know the title of the tag (security measure, of course).

Any ideas on this?

Thanks.

James Heinrich
getID3() v1 developer

Re: Hidden Tags

Post by James Heinrich » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:43 pm

a) Assuming you mean ID3v1:
No.

b) Assuming you mean ID3v2:
Yes, many possible methods.
A user-defined text frame (TXXX) or General Encapsulated OBjected (GEOB) would be your two target frames of choice. The user-defined text frame is generally limited to plain text, and may or may not be displayed by an ID3v2-aware application (depends on the application). GEOBs are pure user-defined data (including binary) and are rarely handled in any way by client applications, except as such client applications write this data, since there's no definition of the contents or how they should be handled; an application can write here as it wishes.
http://www.id3.org/id3v2.3.0#sec4.3.2
http://www.id3.org/id3v2.3.0#sec4.16

disrael
User

Post by disrael » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:59 am

Cool! I've managed to add the user text frame. It doesn't give errors, but I can't find a program that will read it! Still looking. I presume with no errors it's written, but if I don't have a program that reads it, not as helpful.

Thanks for all your work, BTW.

James Heinrich
getID3() v1 developer

Post by James Heinrich » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:06 am

You can always verify the full contents of any tag using getID3's file browser demo (demo/demo.browse.php in your browser).