Commercial use of getid3

The place for "I can't figure out how to..." questions.
comsatcat
User

Commercial use of getid3

Post by comsatcat » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:43 pm

I'm creating a commercial site and have found getid3 as a useful resource for handling all the file types I'm dealing with. Is there any cost for using getid3 commercialy? If not, I do feel a donation is in order :) I read the commercial.license.txt file however it did not say if I must pay for getid3.

Thanks,
Ben

James Heinrich
getID3() v1 developer
Are you a spambot?: no

Post by James Heinrich » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:28 pm

As long as your usage falls under the terms of the GPL (license.txt), then you're free to use getID3() for commercial or free projects as you see fit, no payment required. In general, the GPL means that you must provide the source to any modifiations you make to getID3 (if applicable), and your project must be released under a GPL-compatible license (usually the GPL itself), although the GPL does not prevent you from charging for your program (or mine, for that matter). The GPL FAQ may be helpful:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

The "getID3() Commercial License" (gCL) is available as an option for those who wish to release non-GPL commercial software that uses getID3(), and does require payment.

comsatcat
User

Post by comsatcat » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:09 pm

We're still contemplating releasing the code. How much does the getid3 commercial license cost for a single site.