possible to add a date tag?

The place for "I can't figure out how to..." questions.
yehosef1
User

possible to add a date tag?

Post by yehosef1 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:00 am

I need to know the date the recording was made. The date of the file goes by creation/modified of the file. Is there a place/way in the ID3 tags for this?

I see that the comment field can be an array - Can I assign different comments? Something like:
$file['comment']['date']="Today";
$file['comment']['other comment']="cool";

Thanks,

Allan Hansen
getID3() v2 developer

Post by Allan Hansen » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:25 am

ID3v1 only supports year.
ID3v2.3 supports recording_dates in TRDA.

APEtag and vorbiscomments support arbitrary field names. You can use date, recorded, released, etc.

You can use 'other_comment' fields with APEtag and vorbiscomments. Not with ID3.

yehosef1
User

What about this?

Post by yehosef1 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:29 am

Two thoughts,

I just tried a program called mp3tag and when you open a mp3 file it gives the option for "extended tags" and then you can save "Metadata" with custom fields and data. But when I opened it with getid3 - I didn't see the data. I don't know if there is a way to use this data.

Or, What about setting the date to the field that I want. With id3v1 it breaks because it only allows 4 digits but with the id3v2 it seems to support even long dates.

I know this isn't what it's made for but is there any problems this will cause?

Thanks

Allan Hansen
getID3() v2 developer

Post by Allan Hansen » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:02 pm

I do not know where the extended tag data from mp3tag is stored. APEtags works well on mp3 files with the excellent player foobar2000. APEtags are fully supported by getID3().

If the full date works with ID3v2/year then there should be no problems using it there. I do however recomment using date in ISO format, like 2006-12-20 so the first 4 characters will match the ID3v1 tag.