Slow and incomplete parsing? wrong server config?

The place for "I can't figure out how to..." questions.
Post Reply
genu
User
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:37 am
Location: United States

Slow and incomplete parsing? wrong server config?

Post by genu » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:40 am

Hi, please take a look at the following url:
http://grbcatlanta.com/id/demo.browse.p ... dia%2Ftemp

the demo.browser.php is supposed to get the id3 info from the mp3s in that folder, but its very slow, and it only does it for the the first 4. Afterword, it either finished loading the page with those 4, or my accounts gets suspended for exceeding CPU quota.

The mp3 are all over 25mb each. (something to do with it?)

how can I solve this problem. This is my first time working with id3 and php, and i'm pretty new to the technology, so any help will be appreciated.

James Heinrich
getID3() v1 developer
Posts: 1477
Joined: Fri May 04, 2001 4:00 pm
Are you a spambot?: no
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Post by James Heinrich » Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:45 pm

All I got was a 500 internal server error

The problem is that you have many large headerless VBR files. Scanning a single file isn't a huge problem (for example), it takes ~8 seconds to scan through the ~75000 audio frames in the file, but you have 50 files in that directory so it could easily take 8 minutes to scan that directory, abusing the server all the way there.

You should make sure that whatever program you use to encode the MP3s is either set to add a VBR header, or chose to encode them in CBR mode, and for your existing files you should consider adding the VBR header using a program like VBRfix.

genu
User
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:37 am
Location: United States

Post by genu » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:11 pm

ok I will try to fix that, I used Audacity to add the tags, when I exported the files.

Post Reply