read id3 from samba mounts on winxp

The place for "I can't figure out how to..." questions.
eye2
User

read id3 from samba mounts on winxp

Post by eye2 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:19 pm

dear all,

I am currently using getid3 for reading playtimes of movies in my videolan player playlist and i've build a tv broadcast playlist/programming with it in php with times/dates when the next video is scheduled. This all runs on windows xp + apache 2.2 + php 5
getid3 works perfectly when i read those files from local disks, but when im trying to read id3 tags from mounted samba shares (mapped on for example g: on my broadcast server) my player still lists it as g:\movie.avi in its playlist but as soon as getid3 tries to read this file and tries to get the id3 tag it stops working.

i have read something about the fact that getid3 is not able to read from remote files but i think this is error is a combination of the way windows maps samba drives in its system and how getid3 tries to get the id3 information.

so i wonder whether this is a known problem and if there is a solution for this error.

thanks in advance

Allan Hansen
getID3() v2 developer

Post by Allan Hansen » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:39 pm

Known problem, but not related to getID3(): Windows NT security.

The mounted samba share is available to the local user currently logged in only.

The webserver runs as a service under different credentials and does not have access to the mounted drive.

There is probably some easy solution, like making apache run as the local user. Unfortunately I do not know how.