Sony msv format

What features would you like to see in future versions of getID3() ?
meecect
User

Sony msv format

Post by meecect » Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:59 am

It would be nice to include detection of the sony msv format. I don't care if it can read or write any tags, just detection.

I've had a real hard time getting php mime type detection working, so I was excited to see the getid3 recognized a lot of my files types ( using the browse demo ). The last piece of my puzzle is identification of msv files.

I would be willing to add the code myself if you pointed me in the right direction.

James Heinrich
getID3() v1 developer
Are you a spambot?: no

Post by James Heinrich » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:06 am

Can you point me in the direction of a MSV compressor program, or at the very least some MSV sample files and a program that plays them? And if you know of any MSV file format documentation, that would be most useful.

I can't promise that support will be added, but it can't be without the above.

meecect
User

more info

Post by meecect » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:32 am

Adding this seems to make it work:

// MSV - audio - Sony's proprietary (suprise) voice format
'msv' => array (
'pattern' => '^MS_VOICE',
'group' => 'audio',
'mime_type' => 'application/octet-stream',
'fail_id3' => 'ERROR',
'fail_ape' => 'ERROR',

),

meecect
User

Post by meecect » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:47 am

You can get a media player plugin for it here:

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/swu-downl ... 54&os_id=7

Since I got the recognition done, it's not a hot priority anymore, plus Sony is a real bear about proprietary formats. It's really killing me with this custom app I'm writing. Having the detection gets me most of the way there though.

I haven't found any converters or readers. There's a program called 'switch' that can supposedly do it, and theoretically, according to them, it runs on linux. But their software runs under wine, and to get it to support msv, you have to install the sony provided media player codecs. Couldn't get that part to work under wine.

Your software, BTW, is superb. I have been banging my head against the wall all day to get some php code to recognize mime-types properly for my app. Between php differences on linux and windows, the deprecated mime_content_type function, multiple places and formats of magic files, interaction of apache mime_magic etc, etc...ugh..

I was going to go on but, as you probably know, php and mime-types is one of the biggest messes I've ever come across in LAMP. Using getid3 just to properly detect wma mimetypes seems overkill, but I'm grateful for it! I'll probably end up integrating more of it's functions since it's here.

Anyway, thanks for the quick response. Feel free to use my code sample.

Cliff Meece