Best Practice

Comments and questions that doest not fit anywhere else.
RichardLynch

Best Practice

Post by RichardLynch » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:05 pm

What tags would you recommend using as a "Best Practice" to provide maximum player exposure to artists, without going crazy trying to support/debug all the different tags and whatnot?

Not just using getID3() but also adding, perhaps, ICE headers (?) or integrating other software packages on the outbound MP3 stream.

I'm more than a little peeved by the WinAmp team not supporting ID3 in streaming MP3 s...

But, hey, time to be flexible and shove out as many "standard" tags as practical.

So what's "practical"?

Just looking for more experienced advice in the Big Picture of a bewildering array of different tagging formats/players.

THANKS!

PS My site http://uncommonground.com/ has some nice acoustic/unplugged music if you're into that sort of thing.

Allan Hansen
getID3() v2 developer

Post by Allan Hansen » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:20 pm

Vorbiscomments for Ogg Vorbis and FLAC - full streaming support.

APEtag for MPC, Monkey's Audio and Wavpack (not suitable for streaming).

Any use for other audio formats?

:p

RichardLynch

Other Formats

Post by RichardLynch » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:27 pm

Thanks!

Personally, for now, I'm just sticking to MP3 format.

So while comments about other formats and tags thereof are certainly welcome for other Readers, please try to be clear what works with what...

I don't really understand the relationship[s] between all these formats, so tend to get confused easily when they get tossed around...

I got the impression, possibly mistaken, from WinAmp forums, that just sending out ICE headers with an MP3 would be sufficient to get the artist name to show up in the player. Which is all I really care about at the moment.

Thanks!

PS Maybe it was just a dumb question, and the only tag that even makes SENSE with MP3 is ID3. That's fine too. At least I know I'm "done" with my work :-v

Allan Hansen
getID3() v2 developer

Post by Allan Hansen » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:35 am

I have no idea what a ICE header. Does getID3() read it?

There are 4 general purpose tag formats: ID3v1, ID3v2, APEtag and lyrics3.

ID3v1 is located at the end of the audio file. Tag has severe limits and cannot be used with streaming.
APEtag is a free tag format, but located at the end and cannot be used with streaming.
Lyrics3 is located at the end - I have no more info.
ID3v2 is located at the beginning og the audio file. Should be useable with streaming in theory. There are limits to this format and large tags will ruin gapless playback on some players.

FLAC, Ogg Vorbis, Speex and OggFLAC use native vorbiscomments - free form. Designed for streaming.

MPC, Monkey's Audio and Wavpack recommend APEtags as native format.

WMA, Real, VQF and others have native tag formats as well. While VQF is dead, WMA and Real native tags works fine with streaming from native players - Evil Media Player and RealSpyWareOne.

Apple iTunes use MP4/quicktime tags on their AAC and ALAC formats. I am sure these stream well in the native player.

Nero (and others) can write AAC files as well - I do not know which tag format is use/recommeds.

If you use Winamp as your player, ID3 is probably what you need.

I use foobar2000 - APEtags works fine on my 9 MP3 files.

WaldoMonster
getID3() contributor

Post by WaldoMonster » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:44 am

Allan Hansen wrote:I have no idea what a ICE header. Does getID3() read it?
ICE headers are sending by a Shoutcast/Icecast streaming server.
And can be read with Winamp.

ICE headers are the same kind of headers that a webserver send before the content.

http://ample.sourceforge.net/developers.shtml