Commercial Use of getID3()

Comments and questions that doest not fit anywhere else.
BenDavies
User

Commercial Use of getID3()

Post by BenDavies » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:36 am

My apologies for posting this here, but this seemed the most appropriate place.

I want to use getID3() on a site I am building, which will be selling music online. In addition, at a later date, the plan will be to GPL and release the code for the site.

Obviously, I will be using getID3() commercally, so I assume I must use the Commercial License. My question is: what is the cost of a commercial license for getID3(), or is it "free" (obviously if the latter, we will happily donate money to the cause!)

Second, once we release our source, I assume (because of the use of the GPL) we can release the source to getID3() as well, yes?

Thats it, other than a hearty cheer for developing such a useful and elegant library!

Cheers,

Ben

P.S. I read that version 2 is PHP5 ready, but no "write" stuff has been implemented yet. I know this is a shit question, but any idea when we can expect that? :)

P.P.S. I know the above is a shit question, and hate it myself when I'm asked :)

Allan Hansen
getID3() v2 developer

Re: Commercial Use of getID3()

Post by Allan Hansen » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:28 am

BenDavies wrote:Obviously, I will be using getID3() commercally, so I assume I must use the Commercial License.
getID3() is licensed under the GNU Public License (see license.txt). This license allows you to use and to make modifications to the software, as long as you release your source code.

The getID3() Commercial License" (gCL) is a license that allows you to do the above without releasing your source code.

BenDavies wrote:Second, once we release our source, I assume (because of the use of the GPL) we can release the source to getID3() as well, yes?
Yes - you have to release it or point your users to getID3()'s homepage.

BenDavies wrote:My question is: what is the cost of a commercial license for getID3(), or is it "free" (obviously if the latter, we will happily donate money to the cause!)
Price is to be discussed among the developers. Send request to info@getid3.org for a quote.

BenDavies wrote:Thats it, other than a hearty cheer for developing such a useful and elegant library!
Thanks a lot.

BenDavies wrote:P.S. I read that version 2 is PHP5 ready, but no "write" stuff has been implemented yet. I know this is a shit question, but any idea when we can expect that? :)
Soon.

Donations usually increases developer morale [HINT] :p

BenDavies
User

Post by BenDavies » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:55 pm

Wow! Thanks for the speedy reply!

I'll get in touch at the email address you supplied, and see if I can arrange a donation in the meantime.

Again, thanks!