Returning first frame of a movie clip?

The place for "I can't figure out how to..." questions.
etones
User
Returning first frame of a movie clip?

Post by etones » Fri May 23, 2003 3:21 pm

Can getid return the first frame of an avi file and allow it to be saved as a jpg/png etc?

Taz

James Heinrich
getID3() v1 developer
Are you a spambot?:no

Post by James Heinrich » Fri May 23, 2003 4:37 pm

It would probably be fairly easy to return the data of the first video frame, but decoding that data into an image requires passing the data through the appropriate codec, which is beyond the scope of getID3().

So "no", unfortunately :(

etones
User

Post by etones » Fri May 23, 2003 5:59 pm

getid3() wrote:but decoding that data into an image requires passing the data through the appropriate codec, which is beyond the scope of getID3().

So "no", unfortunately :(
ahh, i hadn't thought about that.. hmmm...

can I just say thanks to how well and fast you reply to these boards

Taz

yngwie
User

Extract frame from video

Post by yngwie » Fri May 30, 2003 10:58 pm

This was my question also. Does anyone know of a program that can extract the first frame of a video file and turn it into image file for web?

_iCeb0x_
User

Maybe it could be done in a different way...

Post by _iCeb0x_ » Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:39 pm

James Heinrich wrote:It would probably be fairly easy to return the data of the first video frame, but decoding that data into an image requires passing the data through the appropriate codec, which is beyond the scope of getID3().
I really need to generate an image from the poster frame of a QuickTime movie.

I checked and getID3 can show the timeline position of the poster frame. Does anyone knows how to get the data for a frame?

It still won't be perfect, but it'll be better than not having it: maybe someone could write a script to generate a single-frame movie with that data. People would still need to have QuickTime plug-in installed to see that image, but there would be a preview (exactly what I need).

Well... I am not a very good programmer so I'd need some help if no one wants to do this...

Vince

Post by Vince » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:47 pm

You can possibly use a command line program to do this, although I seriously wouldn't recommend it.

If you are a newbie to the command line or ain't got a clue what a command line is then stay well clear of it.

[php]<?php
shell_exec($cmd); //execute a command
?>[/php]

Shell execute puts the power of the command line at your finger tips, although if you mess up ... bye bye server (server will crash)

REMEMBER! to escape your command using the build in function ... I can't remember what it is though, just check the PHP manual.

Post by Guest » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:37 pm

Oh yeah, forgot to mention...

You should look into ImageMagick or GraphicsMagick, both apparently have the ability to extract a frame from a movie file.

It doesn't support Quicktime files though, quicktime is for the mac, mac ain't a computer and the libs are native to Linux (they're available for Windows though).

PHP extension for ImageMagick is available @ php.net and I think you can get the Perl extension from the imagemagick site.

_iCeb0x_
User

Post by _iCeb0x_ » Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:46 pm

Anonymous wrote:It doesn't support Quicktime files though, quicktime is for the mac, mac ain't a computer and the libs are native to Linux (they're available for Windows though).
I won't even bother reading your further arguments (like if they would be any valid, hehe), but I've been doing PHP development on this Mac for quite some time, ever since Mac OS X was released.

And now I can consider myself a hero because I am the only person in the world capable of developing PHP on something that is not a computer!

Being myself a hero, I don't want to hear anything that might come from your mere-mortal mouth.

Thanks for the entertainment, fella!

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:33 pm

Hi

The best bet would be using transcode http://www.theorie.physik.uni-goettinge ... transcode/ (I too am trying to get this working). While I cant quite get transcode to compile properly on OS X, it does have options specifically for dumping frame accurate stills from a movie.

Hope this helps.

Please post your solution as im interested myself.

biosonik
User

Post by biosonik » Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:54 am

Use ffmpeg (command line program):

Code: Select all

--COMMAND LINE CODE EXPLAINED
<INPUT FILE> <FILE> <OVERWRITE> <SEEK TO> <SEEK TIME> <NUMBER OF FRAMES> <NUM FRAMES> <NO SOUND> <SAME QUALITY> <FORCE FORMAT> <FORMAT> <OUTPUT FILE>
--COMMAND LINE CODE---
ffmpeg -i test.avi -y -ss 00:02:00 -vframes 1 -an -sameq -f gif test.gif
If FFMPEG spits out a crappy image (which it did for me) then use imagemagick if you can

[1] = the frame number
--COMMAND LINE CODE
convert test.avi[1] image.gif
Note: imagemagick doesn't support that many video file types so if you have a 3GP file (or another unsupported file), convert it to a MPG with FFMPEG then use imagemagick to convert it to a GIF.

You can also use FFMPEG-PHP although FFMPEG-PHP is new and most likely buggy. I can't see any web hosts installing it for you.

konkret
User

use MPlayer (www.mplayerhq.hu)

Post by konkret » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:38 am

you can use mplayer to generate preview files. MPlayer (www.mplayerhq.hu) support most of currently available formats. I dunno if it's available on MAC but it runs even on my Zaurus :)

just to get snapshot of desired position:

mplayer -nosound -ss <SEEK TIME (in Sec. or hh:mm:ss)> -vo png -z <COMPRESSION LEVEL (0-9)> -frames <NUMBER OF FRAMES> <FILE NAME>

e.g: mplayer -nosound -ss 60 -vo png -z 1 -frames 1 *.avi
if you would like to capture every 60 sec (1min):

mplayer -nosound -vo png -z 1 -sstep 60 *.avi
of course you can try these with other output drivers first to see the result on the fly (e.g. vo fbdev:vidix or whatever you like).
If you have compiled MPlayer with other output formats like jpeg, tga, etc you can also use these if you prefer.

if your MPlayer version gets stuck at end of file on -sstep solution, you can limit frames with -frames. With getID3 you can easily calculate the number of frames :)

If you like more control on generating preview snapshots you can use the slave mode of MPlayer. A very simple example:

while true; do echo seek 60; echo pause; sleep 0.25; done | mplayer -nosound -vo png -z 0 -slave *.avi
This is the same solution for above example. But you will mostly get 2 sequences of snapshots. I think it's because of the command recognition time between seek and pause command.

If you like further more, have look at EDL format and of cource RFTM, you will find detailed description there.

have fun.

goblenro
User

Post by goblenro » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:56 pm

Hello,

I have the same problem
I need to get one picture for all my clips

I try Mplayer but I get this Warning message

- WARNING - this is not optimal!
To get best performance, recompile MPlayer with --disable-runtime-cpudetection.

Can u help me to fix this

Thank's